One of today’s most valuable tools for surgical learning, surgical training models offer students a safe, accurate method to practice and master surgeries and other medical procedures. That’s precisely why surgical training tools like the Miya Model are rising in popularity.
The Miya Model is a true-to-life, multi-surgery pelvic training model that creates a more realistic surgical experience. By using the Miya Model to practice various gynecological surgeries, students can gain real experience before beginning procedures on live patients.
In this blog, we will provide our recommendations for using the Miya Model for surgical training – from lighting and camera placement to room set-up to model learning progression.
Miya Model Simulation Set-Up
In order to optimize the Miya Model learning experience, we suggest following the room set-up suggestions listed below:
- Use headlamps, surgical lights, lighted retractors, or attachable lights to maximize visibility and simulate the surgical room environment.
- If training multiple students in one space, organize each Miya Model station in a semi-circular fashion to allow one proctor to observe multiple stations.
- If using water or another liquid, use a luncheon tray to contain the liquid. Just place the model base inside the tray and clamp it down to the table.
- To record a video of model practice, you can…
- Place a phone or camera behind the model to provide real-time feedback of sling placement.
- Place phones or cameras on the left and right sides of the model to observe the obturator membranes for transobturator tape (TOT) procedures.
- Capture the surgeon’s field of view with eye-tracking devices for grading and analysis.
Miya Model Learning Strategies
Although our recommended protocol will depend on the audience and the procedure being taught, we suggest learners follow the Miya Model training progression below for retropubic and transobturator approach slings:
- Take apart and reassemble the Miya Model, and identify anatomic landmarks.
- Perform a pelvic exam.
- Remove the vulva, vagina, uterus, and bladder.
- Pass empty trocar through the surgical space.
- Replace the vagina and uterus (optional) and pass empty trocar through surgical space.
- Replace bladder and pass empty trocar through surgical space.
- Replace vulva and pass empty trocar through surgical space.
- Perform procedure with sling loaded on trocar.
Miyazaki Enterprises – The Miya Model
Revolutionizing the way we teach and practice pelvic surgery, the Miya Model has developed a strong reputation as the superior existing pelvic surgery training model. Download the FREE Miya Model app today to access training material, videos, and assessments.
Need to purchase a Miya Model? Contact us today!